16 August 2009

Intro to Coconut Flour

Like almond flour, coconut flour is another perfectly healthy alternative to insulin spiking wheat flours and made in a similar manner. The oil is drained from the coconut meat and the result is processed into a fine white powder. It is an extremely dry and fiber rich flour, so a little goes a long way. It is great for more dense texture.

Coconut is a food with a very high saturated fat content, but don't let this worry you. It is a very natural fat that has many benefits.

Unfortunately, coconut flour is not a direct substitute for wheat flour either. Like I said, it is very dry and requires a lot of liquid to maintain a batter consistency when baking.

So let's try it out.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

1/2 C coconut flour
6 large eggs
1/4 C honey
1/3 C applesauce (unsweetened, no preservatives)
2 tblsp. poppy seeds
zest of 1 whole lemon & juice from a 1/2
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Whisk eggs, applesauce, lemon zest, juice, baking powder, and honey. Add coconut flour and continue to mix. Fold in poppy seeds. Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil and pour in batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. You should get 6 large muffins with this recipe.

While you're here, I'd like to let you know that I've recently opened up to comment section to anyone (not just Blogger members) so feel free to leave comments, feedback, requests, etc.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious. I'm curious to know about the nutrition facts all tallied up. I've been using applesauce in place of most oil in coconut-flour recipes because I didn't like the oily feel that came from recipes that were about... half fat. I love good fats, but really-- I don't want my bread to be sliced oil!

    Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Please include your name when using the comment board. I like to know who's reading!